Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Saturday, September 17, 2011



Last weekend was my youngest Grand-Daughter's first birthday.  I was pleasantly surprised when my son and his wife asked me to make the birthday cake.  The plan was to have something chocolate and easily 'destoryed' by hand.  Of course the first thought was cupcakes and then a small 6 inch round became the perfect base.  The cake was a basic chocolate cake but I wanted the icing to be simple, chocolaty, and sweet.  My son said it tasted like ice cream.  So here is the simple creation, however, it should be noted that this frosting was delicate and had to be kept cool but it was tasty.  Also I kind of winged it in the kitchen and the measurements are basic estimates since I wasn't really measuring as much as I was tasting as I went along.  Part of the fun of cooking is letting loose and allowing something to be made based upon taste rather than the written word.  Good luck and feel free to experiment.


I'm not sure I like chocolate

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup Powder sugar
  • 1 Tbl Butter (room temp)
  • 1/2 to 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 8 oz chocolate chips (bittersweet)
Preparation
  • Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or as I do it with a sauce pan and a pyrex dish over boiling water.
  • Place the butter, sugar, cream, and vanillla into a mixer and mix on high until the cream begins to stiffen.
  • Slowly add the melted chocolate and continue to whip on high.
  • Chill and frost cake.

9 comments:

  1. How sweet of your grand daughter! I think she was crying for more. ;-))
    Happy belated Birthday!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen, Looks like a memorable birthday! I'm not sure she likes the chocolate either---but I know how I feel, yum! Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winging it is what most of us do best...and isn't it difficult to discipline oursleves to record what we do. LOL

    Sweet post and a great souvenir for your adorable grand-daughter ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Happy 1st Birthday!! Great post, and the cake/cupcakes look great even if she was unsure about the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your little angel,dear!Sweet post!Kisses from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What sweet sweet post. Those precious moments! Belated happy birthday to your adorable grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What adorable photos! I'm sure she will learn to love chocolate soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow very cute photo of your birthday looks like a great moments in your life.
    Cookery School London

    ReplyDelete