Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Friday, October 29, 2010

Lemon Beurre Blanc

I was asked to start sharing the recipes that I learned at my surprise birthday party.  I have to give kudo's to Chef John Surla for teaching me this one.  The following is a lemon beurre blanc sauce:

Ingredients:
Unsalted butter 2- 3 sticks
shallots
lemon
white wine (dry)

I started with a 1/2 to 3/4 of stick of unsalted butter and the diced shallots.  I melted the butter under low heat, added the the finely chopped shallot, and the zest from the lemon plus the juice. 

I then added about a cup of white wine.  I used a local Trebbiano, which is a chardonnay fermented in stainless steel rather than oak.  The wine is moderately dry and flavorful.  The ingredients were left on low - medium heat until it reduced down to about the original volume of the melted butter and lemon juice prior to me adding the wine. 

Then I added the remaining unsalted butter (I prepped the butter, cubing it into approximately 1/2 to 1 inch squares) to the mixture with the heat on high and aggressive stirring.  Once everything is combined and melted it is ready to serve.  Since this is a butter based dish I would wait to prepare just before serving and serve it hot. 

This sauce is great on fish or chicken but is extremely rich.  I have saved the sauce and reheated it with leftovers - it was still great.

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick credit - the Trebbiano wine came from Souza Family Winery in Tehachapi

    ReplyDelete