Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Friday, August 19, 2011

Chocolate Cupcake/Lava Cake???

I believe that everyone knows how important it is to measure accurately and 'follow' the recipe when baking.  This has always been a challenge for me.  So when I started tinkering with a very reliable cake recipe I was not surprised when my cupcakes after cooling were so fragile I almost couldn't frost them.  They tasted great but crumbled at my touch and were near impossible to remove the paper cupcake mold.  Then an inspiration that turned 2 dozen potentially crumbling cupcakes into a wonderful dessert.  By the way I took them to work to get an independent read on the final product and 'they were a hit'.  The inspiration was to turn them into Lava Cakes.  The tinkering consisted of adding a lot more chocolate so that the cake whenit formed did not have enough structure to support itself.  So with a sunken middle I popped the cupcake into the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and presto chango I had a deliciously warm Lava Cake.  The original cupcake recipe came from Cupcakerecipe.com but I would like to think my changes make it a bit more uniquely mine.  Please enjoy.




Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

Ingredients

• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 3/4 cup water
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 8 ounces melted unsweetened baking chocolate

Chocolate Cupcake Recipe Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

Combine all ingredients into large mixing bowl. Mix at low speed for 30 seconds, and scrape bowl. Mix at high speed for 3 minutes.

Fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes in pans then remove from pan, and place on wire racks to cool completely.

Frost when chocolate cupcakes are completely cool.

Chocolate Port Frosting

Ingredients:

· 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips

· ½ cup butter, softened

· 2 cups confectioners’ sugar

· ½ tsp vanilla

· Approximately ¼ cup port chocolate infused rum (NOTE: almost any rum will do, you might want to try coconut)

Preparation:
Melt Chocolate chips over water bath.

Whip butter and gradually add powdered sugar. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and port until fluffy. If too soft or runny add more sugar 1 Tblsp at a time (especially if you use too much rum, but I don’t see how that is possible.

Put into pastry bag (or not) and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

I then heated the upcakes individually in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds, topped with some freshly whipped cream, mint leaves and blackberries

12 comments:

  1. Great work! Reinvention is a beautiful thing. Very creative and sounds very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, this is such a lovely recipe. Your lava cakes sound delicious. You asked about the couscous. Some of my sun-dried tomatoes had darkened in color because they had been exposed to light. I decided to use them anyway. Unfortunately they look even darker in the photo than they actually were. Olives would probably be a great addition though. I hope you have a great day.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah what a happy accident! Lava cakes are WAY better than cupcakes anyways. Thank you for your comment Stephen! Balancing work/school with fun is not an easy task. I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lava cake and nice to display it next to the herb plant (tarragon?).

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie - I had to go look but it is lavendar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say Lava Cake sounds much more appealing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds heavenly...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to make the cupcakes into something even tastier. I love lava cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephen--great work on the cupcake-lava cake transformation. you made it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is certainly the works of a very creative mind who is desperate at all cost to save the environment from a possible flop to the wastelands...NOT!

    Great save Stephen ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your personal twist and will be making them soon! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Stephen! that's ok that you missed me :) the good thing is that you found me and my blog and that i know yours! thanks for adding me to your list!

    Cheers,
    yas
    www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete