Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Friday, December 3, 2010

Balsamic Drizzle

A friend asked the other day about olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  He wanted the balsamic to be thicker.  My first recommendation was a 75 years aged vinegar.  After some talk we kick around a balsamic reduction.  Today I gave it a try and it it pretty good.

Ingredients
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Port Wine

Preparation
Place a 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into a small skillet.  Heat on high untill it boils.  Move the skillet off the flame and add a quarter cup of port wine. Careful tilt the skillet towards the flame so that the alcohol 'flames' safely.  Continue boiling for a couple of minutes then reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the reduction is a syrup.

Plating Suggestions
This is a very sweet balsamic flavor.  I made open face chicken and tomato sandwiches and drizzled the reduction over the top.  It softened the toasted bread and added a nice sweet but sharp flavor to the sandwich, not to mention the dark color.

No comments:

Post a Comment