Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Saturday, December 25, 2010

Citrus Champagne Chicken

This idea sprung from Pam at the lnik: For the Love of Cooking.  She had prepared a "spatchcocked chicken", a preparatin I had never heard before.  I looked it up in Wikipedia and found this reference: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2006/05/24/FDGEQIU78N1.DTL&o=3&type=printable.  Bottomline this inspired me to try something new.  So after spatchcock, which simply means to prepare before cooking, I decided to rummage in the kitchen.  By the way, the prepare before cooking consisted of removing the backbone and breast cartilage so that the bird could be flattened during the prearation process (check it out it is fun).  Now down to my recipe:

Ingredients
1 Whole chicken (I spatchcocked the bird, see link above)
1 Orange
1 Grapefuit
1 Lemon
1/4 cup    Orange Muscat Champange Vinegar
1/4 cup    White Balsamic Vinegar
700 ml     Champayne (I used a Stony River Malvasia Blanc from Livermore, Ca)
1/4 Onion
Handful Parsley
Salt
Pepper

Preparation
  1. First I prepared the chicken - Spatchcocked
  2. Placed it with the breast up in a cooking pan lightly coated in olive oil
  3. Seasoned well with salt and pepper
  4. Zested the lemon, orange, and grapeferuit over the chicken breast
  5. Sliced and placed the lemon, orange and grapefruit pieces around, under, in the chicken
  6. Chopped the onion & parsley then sprinkled it all around the chicken
  7. Poured in the bottle of champagne (it wasn't quite full since we had drank a few glasses on Christmas Eve)
  8. Covered and allowed to marinate for 4 hours
  9. Pop into the oven at 350 until fully cooked
    Serving Suggestions
    Remove the meat from the roasting pan and cut into quarters.  Arrange on a plate and serve

    No comments:

    Post a Comment