Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Saturday, December 25, 2010

Caribbean Cranberry Compote

I usually make the standard cranberry relish listed on the fresh cranberry package but decided to spice it up this year.

Ingredients
1/4 cup    Malibu Caribbean Rum  with natural coconut flavor
1/4 cup    Mango Tropical Rum Liqueur
3 inch      Vanilla bean
1              Orange
1 cup       Fresh Cranberries
2-3 tbl     Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup    Sugar

Preparartion
  • Slice the cranberries while you melt the butter in a skillet
  • Add the cranberries to the skillet along with the sugar, vanilla, and rums (be careful of the flamable alcohols)
  • Flame the mixture to burn off the excess falmable alcohol
  • Allow the cranberry mixture to boil but be carefyl not to burn
  • When the cranberries are cooked smash the cranberries into a mush while continuing to cook.
  • Add the zest of 1/2 an orange and mix well into the mixture
  • Continue to cook on med to hi heat until the cranberries has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool - I placed the mixture in a metal bowl and placed in the freezer to cool it quickly
Serving Suggestions
This is a beautiful deep red dish with a fair amount of texture.  Served in a white bowl with an appropiate ladle or spoon makes this both a visual and tasty side dish.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen, this sounds wonderful. This is my first visit here and I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll be back often I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete