Welcome to I Love to Cook

Cooking is something I have always enjoyed. I learned to cook at the apron strings of my mother and grandmother. The experience of cooking brings me both pleasure and peace of mind.







Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chicken Jaeger Schnitzel

While I was preparing dinner I had a couple of pounded chicken breast left over so I threw together a quick late afternoon lunch.  When I lived in Germany schnitzel came in all forms but Jaeger or hunter's schnitzel was one of my favorite.  It is basically a mushroom cream base with meat of your choice.  Since I do not do veal, chicken is my meat of choice.



Chicken Jaeger Schnitzel
Ingredients
  • 2 Pounded, skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • 1/2 to 1 cup of mushrooms
  • 1/2 - 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 medium shallot
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Small handful of parsley
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
Preparation
Chop the shallots, parsley, and garlic.  Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil and add a tbl of butter.  Once the butter melts add the chopped items and the mushrooms.  As the shallots start to cook (turn translucent) move the ingredients off to the side of the skillet and place the chicken breast in the skillet to brown.  Turn the breast over so that both sides are nice and brown.  This should only take about 15 to 20 minutes total is not less.  Add the cream to the hot skillet and let the cream sauce form and thicken. 

Serving Suggestions
I plated this along with a cream pea and pearl onion mixture.  This along with my wine and a couple of pieces of a toasted sesame baguette and I was set.  In Germany this is usually served with German noodles (Spätzle).  Most German markets have mixes for this very tasty noodle.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten a lot of German foods but I imagine it is quite delicious and satisfying. Peas are so wonderful served with something creamy, great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very tasty - especially with that glass of wine! I don't think I've ever had a real schniztel before!

    ReplyDelete